mas car stuff

I realize that some of you may be turned off by my recent car related posts,
and I really don't care.

I had smooth sailing replacing my carb the other day,
until I noticed that something connecting the manifold to the choke is broken.
I assume this little piece of metal is called "choke rod" or something equally as simplistic, but since part of it is missing, it is hard to say.
From what I understand,
the thermostat relays temp information to the housing of this missing rod or spring thingy,
and the rod then operates the linkage on the carb to open or close the choke. The fact that is missing is playing a factor on the fuel/air mixture, and starting.
Or so I imagine.

Obviously I am not much of a mechanic,
as you can probably tell by my use of the word, "thingy."

Other missing parts of my car include various hoses,
the functions of which vary from A/C hoses,
(and since the A/C compressor sits uninstalled in my trunk, have no purpose.)
and CAS which is for emmission testing, of which my baby is exempt,
and hoses I think contribute to the rough starts.
Some hoses are capped off, so they remain a mystery.
(Well, that is a dramatic way to say I have no idea where they go.)
I am pretty handy, I like to fix things.
But it is hard to fix things that arent there at all.

I am really enjoying working on my car, though.
There is something strangely sexy about grease under your fingernails,
the smell of oil and sweat,
and of course, the rumble of a well running machine.

There are the little frustrations...
My temp gauge doen't work.
There are a few little cheap parts I need to replace,
almost in a trial and error fashion.
First, the four dollar sending unit,
and then the thermostat, ($12) if I have no luck with that.
Which I haven't
I took out the old sending unit, and the new one didn't want to go in.
The threads don't match because it is either the incorrect part,
or the I need to retread the female end.
I am pretty sure I have to rethread, because the old sending unit was almost identical to the new one, except the first five threads were stripped off.
In fact it looked pretty damn clean and new, which leads me to think her former owner was working his way to the gauge problem the same way I am, without fixing it.
Que sera sera.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home